Lavender oil is probably one of the most well-known essential oils, appearing as a scent in relaxing bubble baths, aromatherapy, massages, and soaps. The popularity of lavender essential oil is no surprise. Perhaps one of its biggest benefits is the ability lavender has to aid in relaxation. According to the Organic Facts website, lavender oil is extracted from the flowers of the lavender plant. This resulting lavender essential oil has been used in perfumes for centuries because of its extremely fragrant nature.
How can lavender essential oil help my health?
Lavender has many health benefits that go beyond relaxation after a long day. Lavender enhances blood circulation, relieves pain, and can treat respiratory problems. Without further ado, here’s why you should add lavender essential oil to your health regimen.
• Sleep problems: If you’ve been experiencing insomnia but are hesitant to try traditional sleeping medicines, experiment with lavender oil first. Place a small amount of lavender essential oil on your pillows – in the form of an aromatherapy spray – to feel its benefits. A study in the medical journal CNS Drugs found that when replacing the normal sleep medications of elderly patients with lavender essential oil, patients’ sleep patterns improved.
• Acne: Like many other essential oils, lavender is beneficial to your skin. Organic Facts says that lavender essential oil can inhibit the initial bacterial reaction that causes inflammation and infection of the skin. Add a small amount of lavender oil to your skin creams to treat blemishes.
• Pain relief: Since lavender relaxes the central nervous system, lavender essential oil is highly useful in combatting chronic pain. Enjoying regular massages with lavender essential oil can treat neck and backaches, tense and sore muscles, and even headaches. For these reasons, lavender may be a useful option after surgery or when recovering from intense workouts.
• Hair care: If you or someone in your life is suffering from hair loss, lavender essential oil may be your all-natural cure. A study found that when using lavender oil as part of a hair loss remedy blend, patients experiencing alopecia experienced hair growth when regularly rubbing the oil onto affected areas of the scalp.
• Digestion: Lavender essential oil increases the mobility of food within the intestines, according to Organic Facts. Indigestion can be treated by consuming a few drops of lavender essential oil.
• Improve the immune system: Lavender essential oil contains antibacterial and antiviral properties that make it ideal for fighting off illness and disease. Consistent use of lavender oil results in a stronger immune system.
The Relaxing Benefits of Lavender
We’ve told you that lavender essential oil is primarily used to relax the nervous system. This characteristic is the primary reason for its use in soaps, massage oils, lotions, and aromatherapy. Mind Body Green advises users to use the lavender inhalation method for a quick reprieve from stress. Rub two to three drops of lavender essential oil into the palms of your hands and slowly inhale, cupping your palms. You can also rub the oil directly onto your feet, temples, or wrists to experience the calming effect on your mind.
So why is lavender so relaxing, anyway? The Body Ecology says that in ancient times, lavender oil was used to calm lions and tigers. This was before any concrete research had been conducted using lavender, but its effects were still evident. Lavender can also reduce feelings of anxiety and depression. The fragrant scent of lavender impacts the part of the brain that is responsible for emotional responses, the amygdala gland.
Now that you know the health benefits of lavender, get a move on! Adding this essential oil to your daily consumption, lotions, or sleep routine can easily improve both your body and your mind.