The heat is coming in full force. For those of us who live in a hotter climate, we’re blessed with a gorgeous and mild winter, but the payback comes during the summer months. We watch as temperatures climb into the triple digits seemingly overnight. One of the biggest questions you may have when facing the temperatures: What can I actually do to stay busy?
It may seem like you’re destined to live out the summer months stuck inside your home, but there are ways to stay active and enjoy the outdoors. Below are some tips for surviving the summer heat and having fun while doing it:
- Create fun, active indoor games. Games and exercise aren’t limited to the outdoors. If you find yourself and your family going a little stir-crazy or spending too much time in front of the TV, create some indoor activities. For example, help your children build a fort and tell stories in it at night. Buy an indoor hopscotch mat or play Twister.
- Take a vacation. This may seem like an obvious one, but your trip doesn’t have to be the big, all-out extravaganza you’re trying to plan. Research other towns and cities in your state that may be cooler than where you live and plan a weekend road trip.
- Volunteer. Giving back is both fun and rewarding and there are things you can do that will help you stay active and cool. Offer to walk dogs for an animal shelter during the morning and evening, when the weather permits. Visit a nursing home and provide some cheer. Many hospitals also rely on volunteers to do things like staff the gift shop and direct patients and visitors.
- Visit a museum. Step away from that computer and put down the phone. Find a museum you and your family are interested in checking out. It could be about dinosaurs, musical instruments, or even the traditional art museum. There are a myriad of fascinating museums to explore while learning something new.
- Read! We are so focused on our technology nowadays that the art form of sitting down with a good, old-fashioned novel has been lost. Spend a warm afternoon in your local library or bookstore and become immersed in a new world.
- Pamper yourself. If you’re always busy looking after everyone else, take a weekend off from mom or dad duty. Book a date to get your nails done, try something new with your hair, or get a professional massage.
Get in shape. If you’re a hiker, biker or runner, stick to early morning and evening workouts to avoid the heat. Ready to try something new? Try a month of classes at a yoga or barre studio, or join a new gym. Many gyms offer cheaper summer specials.